Plum is very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of dietary fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and K. These delicious succulent fruits are quite low in calories. Each 100 grams contain 46 calories and contains no saturated fats. It even contains several health promoting compounds, minerals and vitamins. These compounds include sorbitol and isatin. It contains minerals like potassium, fluoride and iron. Total antioxidant strength of plums is measured in terms of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity) is 6259. This fruit is also useful in promoting flavanoid poly penolic antioxidants like lutein, cryptoxantin and zea- xanthin in significant amounts. It even contains moderate amounts of niacin, pantothenic acid, proteins, and carbohydrates.
Plums neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals and protects against the development of health conditions like asthma, arthritis, heart stroke and cancer. The antioxidants found in this fruit protect the body from free radicals that speed up the ageing process. Zea xanthin, an important dietary cartenoids, selectively absorbs into the retinal were it provides antioxidant and protective UV light filtering functions. These antioxidants are particularly effective in neutralizing destructive oxygen radical called superoxide anion radical and are known to prevent oxygen based damage to fats, such as fats that comprise a substantial portion of the brain cells or neurons. The antioxidants in this fruit also improve memory by neutralizing cell damaging radicals.
1. The compounds, sorbitol and isatin found in plums help to regulate the functioning of the digestive system and relieve constipation.
2. Vitamin C in plum helps the body to develop resistance against infectious agents, counter inflammation and free radicals .
3. Plum are also good for eye sight and for maintaining healthy mucous membranes and skin. It also protects cholesterol from becoming oxidized by free radicals. Oxidized cholesterol builds up in the arteries to damage blood vessels. Vitamin C in plums is extremely helpful for controlling heart diseases in diabetic patients.
4. Some studies have connected plum to cancer prevention especially of breast, gastrointestinal and respiratory tract cancers . Anthocyanins, reddish blue pigment in this fruit protects against cancer by mopping free radicals. Vitamin A found in plums is also known to protect from oral and cavity cancer. Plums are particularly good in preventing breast cancer. The antioxidants power of plum and their phytonutrients cease the development of breast cancer cells without killing healthy cells.
5. Plum also helps in maintaining the heart health. It contains antioxidants that help to get rid of the free radicals and prevent cholesterol oxidation. Cholesterol oxidation is a threat to healthy blood vessel which may eventually lead to a number of heart diseases such as heart stroke and high cholesterol. It contains potassium which is an important component of cell and body fluids that help in controlling heart rate and blood pressure. It also prevents platelet clotting which may result in disease like Arthrosclerosis, high blood pressure, stroke and coronary heart disease. It also maintains a level of healthy blood pressure. Fibre in plums helps to lower cholesterol levels (). Plums also contain vitamin B6 which prevents homocysteine levels and reduces the possibility of heart attack.
6. Both plums and prunes are known to be effective natural laxative and can help to maintain regular bowel habits.
7. Plum can also help to protect against macular degeneration. Eating 3 servings of this fruit daily can lower the risk of developing age related macular degeneration . Try adding diced plums to your morning cereals or salads.
8. Plum and prunes have the increased ability to absorb iron in the body . This ability is due to the high vitamin C content in this fruit. Iron in plum is highly required for red blood cells formation. It improves blood circulation in the body and prevents anaemia.
9. It also removes toxins and prevents constipation leading to lose weight naturally. Plum is rich in fibre and antioxidants which aid proper digestion and good metabolism. It contains citric acid which prevents tiredness and cramps. It also improves liver and gastrointestinal function. Thus eating plums or drinking plum juice regularly will help you to shed those extra pounds easily .
10. Plums rank quite low in glychemic index, so eating plums controls the blood sugar level and reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The phytonutrients found in plums control the release of glucose into the blood after you have just eaten your meal and regulate insulin spike between the meals. So it is recommended that diabetic patients should incorporate plums in their diet as it will not worsen the situation and will keep them healthy .
11. The soluble fibre in plum also helps to lower cholesterol by soaking up extra bile in the intestine and then excreting it. Bile is made in the liver to digest fat. When the body excretes bile, along with fibre, the liver makes use of cholesterol in the body to make more bile thereby lowering the amount in circulation in the body. Soluble fibre also inhabits the amount of cholesterol manufactured by the liver in the first place.
12. Plum also assists the body in making healthy tissues and strong immune system . It prevents cold and flu and is helpful to people who suffer from recurrent infections.
13. Several researches have concluded that eating plums boosts bone health, especially of post menopausal women. It reverses bone loss due to rich amount of penoic and flavonoids compounds. It has the higher bone mineral density in the spine and forearms. It also contains boron which plays an important role in ossification and actively participates in the preservation of bone density and general upkeep of your bones .
14. Magnesium in plum is necessary for muscle contraction and nervous impulses .
15. Prunes have a good amount of folic acid and calcium which contributes to the supply of folates. Folate is very essential for pregnant women and for the growth of foetus.
16. Plum also has diuretic and detoxifying effect on the body .
Skin Benefits for Plum:
Eating highly pigmented fruits are believed to make you more attractive, thus eating plums can make you look more attractive:
17. The vitamin E and beta carotene, an antioxidant in plums, protect fatty acids and cell membranes from attack of free radicals which allows the body to fight the signs of ageing skin such as loss of elasticity and wrinkles. Plum contains high amount of antioxidants and high anti inflammatory properties which increases circulation and cell metabolism reducing inflammation. This in turn promotes elasticity of the skin and keeps acne and wrinkle at bay.
18. Drinking plum juice can also help to even out the skin tone and firm the skin by improving skin health and rejuvenating its appearance . Collagen deficiency often makes the skin dull and lifeless. Plum contains high amount of vitamin C which is required for the production of hydroxyproline and hydroxylysine, which are needed to bind the molecules that produce collagen. This rejuvenates the skin from the roots and reduces wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
19. Plum can also reduce the appearance of scar tissue by increasing the blood flow to scar tissue, minimizing the look of the scar and blending in the development of new skin.
20. Plum has high amount of antioxidants which provides effective shield against the sun rays and reduces sun damage. Sun damage can make the skin rough and wrinkly but plum encourages the growth of new cells and makes the skin younger.
21. It also helps to replace damaged tissue and helps to heal the wounds at faster pace. It improves skin elasticity and creates scar tissue and ligaments for quick recovery.
22. Applying plum pulp on the face lightens dark spots and treats skin discoloration, freckles and age spots to give you a younger looking and healthy skin.
Plum Benefits For Hair:
Plum can help to maintain the hair follicles, connective tissue or collagen of the scalp and protects the cells both in the follicles and in the blood vessels of the scalp, promoting hair growth.
23. Free radicals often make our hair weak, brittle and thin. These conditions often hinder proper hair growth. Vitamin E in plum strengthens the cell membranes and prevents free radicals from attacking the follicles of the scalp. Thus people who eat plum and prunes regularly have healthy, strong and thick hair .
24. Vitamin C in plum can also help you to get rid of dandruff. The hair follicles often get clogged due to dandruff and flaky skin. This damages the follicles and inhabits the hair growth if not treated in time. Plum can help to fight the bacteria on the scalp and soothes the skin to ward off the dandruff. This will get rid of the follicles debris and encourage new hair growth.
25. Plum can also help to reverse Adrenal gland fatigue . This is very crucial for stopping hair loss and encourages more hair growth since adrenal glands are very important for maintaining proper hormonal imbalance.
26. The high iron content in this fruit improves blood circulation and repairs capillaries to promote stronger and thicker hair.
27. Plum can also help to treat a damaged hair and aids in the treatment of a variety of hair disorder which can damage the follicles and prevent proper hair growth. It also helps to combat alopecia, male baldness in men.
28. Plum is a highly pigmented fruit that not just combats hair loss problem but also retains the natural colour of the hair. It also prevents premature greying.
Plum ( Aloo Bukhara) आलूबुख़ारे - আলু বোখারা - 500g
- Product Code: Plum ( Aloo Bukhara)
- Availability: 2-3 Days